Ok so it’s not really goodbye, more along the lines of a see you later, but it certainly feels like goodbye. My best friend of forever it seems like is leaving tomorrow to embark on the adventure of her lifetime — teaching English for a year in Taiwan. I suck at goodbyes so, in the spirit of Jenna and Barbara Bush, I’ll write her an open letter and post it here.
I can’t believe the time has finally come. You’re actually leaving for 12-15 months. You’re going to Taiwan. And you’re going to have a fabulous time. I know you’re probably terrified. Hell, I’m terrified and I’m the one staying here.
Here are some things to remember when you’re over there:
- You are an incredibly strong woman who can do anything, even when it seems like things are stacked against you or that the world is about to implode.
- You will always have an amazing network of friends back here who are rooting for you and can’t wait to see the amazing things you’ll do.
- Just because you’re half a world away doesn’t mean that you can’t always pick up the phone and reach someone who cares about you.
- Have fun, no matter what.
- I will always be here for you.
Things won’t be the same when you get back; we’ll both be different people. But you know what, and it’s taken me about two weeks to come this conclusion, that’s OK. We’ve been friends since the 7th grade. We’ve grown up, and grown closer, together. This won’t be the first time our friendship will change and it won’t be the last. One thing to remember is that you are my sister, for better or worse. And that doesn’t change.
That’s all. Don’t forget to write. I probably will. =P Don’t forget to call. I probably won’t. Don’t eat too much dog. Hopefully I’ll see you in October!